_s or underscores
Here’s what’s currently in _s:
- A just right amount of lean, well-commented, modern, HTML5 templates.
- A helpful 404 template.
- A sample custom header implementation in
inc/custom-header.phpthat can be activated by uncommenting one line in
functions.phpand adding the code snippet found in the comments of
inc/custom-header.phpto your header.php template.
- Custom template tags in
inc/template-tagsthat keep your templates clean and neat and prevent code duplication.
- Sample theme options in
/inc/theme-options/that can can be activated by uncommenting one line in
- Some small tweaks in
/inc/tweaks.phpthat can improve your theming experience. They can be activated by uncommenting one line in
- Keyboard navigation for image attachment templates. The script can be found in
js/keyboard-navigation.jsand is enqueued from the image attachment template,
- A script at
js/small-menu.jsthat makes your menu a toggled dropdown for small screens (like your phone) ready for CSS artistry. It’s enqueued in
- 5 sample CSS layouts in
/layouts: Two sidebars on the left, two sidebars on the right, a sidebar on either side of your content, and two-column layouts with sidebars on either side.
- Smartly organized starter CSS in
style.cssthat will help you to quickly get your design off the ground.
The purpose of Hybrid Core is to have a solid PHP code base for theme developers to build from. It is a modular framework that allows the developer to pick and choose commonly-used features in themes.
Roots is a starting WordPress theme based on HTML5 Boilerplate & Bootstrap from Twitter. Roots boasts of the following features:
- Multilingual ready and WPML compatible. Roots already includes translations for: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Macedonian, Finnish, Danish, Turkish, Swedish, Bulgarian, Norwegian, Catalan, Polish, Hungarian, Russian
- ARIA roles on the main site components
- Blog posts are based on the hNews microformat as recommended by Readability’s Article Publishing Guidelines
- Most of HTML5 Boilerplate’s awesome
.htaccessis automatically generated
Bones is a HTML5 WordPress starter theme. Bones is bare and as minimalistic as possible. It’s meant to be used as a per-project template, this means no Child Themes. Bones comes ready to roll with a unique LESS/Sass setup that serves minimal resources to smaller screens and scales up depending on your viewport. It also makes custom post typed and custom dashboard functions easy. It has found some popularity that there are other theme frameworks built on it like WP Foundation and WP Bootstrap.
Other WordPress theme frameworks and starter themes:
* Starkers – A bare-bones WordPress theme created to act as a starting point for the theme designer. Free of all style, presentational elements, and non-semantic markup, Starkers is the perfect ‘blank slate’ for all your WordPress projects.