Time and again, my friends ask why I focus only on WordPress. They are not sure if there is enough market for WordPress or worried what to do if something bad happens for WordPress 🙂 I am sure there are bigger guys to worry and keep WordPress in health 🙂
According to oDesk, WordPress is the 4th needed skill in demand after PHP, HTML and English. According to Elance, WordPress is the 2nd needed skill in demand !! And, it is widely speculated that WordPress may be powering 12% of websites online.
So, are you convinced to consider a freelancing career with WordPress ?
Well, here are some of the usual job profiles for WordPress:
* WordPress installation / setup with standard set of themes and plugins.
* Minor CSS / PHP / jQuery modifications of themes and plugins.
* Custom developing WordPress themes and plugins.
* Developing a WordPress theme from a HTML / PSD design.
* Migrating a WordPress website between hosts.
* Migrating websites from other platforms like Blogger, Typepad to WordPress.
* Regular WordPress monthly maintenance work like keeping the site upgraded, taking backups etc.,
* WordPress SEO: Analyzing theme for SEO friendliness, configuring WordPress and SEO plugins for best results.
* WordPress security: Restoring hacked websites, security analysis for website installations.
* WordPress integration: Integrating other popular software with WordPress database and themes.
* WordPress performance: Increasing page load speed, database optimization etc.
* WordPress MU / BuddyPress / bbPress and other WordPress sister projects.
Each of the above is a niche and you have specialist consultants working on each of them. The asking rate can be 10 USD per hour for newbies and upto 250 USD per hour for experts.
Here are some places to find WordPress freelancers and jobs:
WordPress specific freelance markets
WordPress jobs – Official job board.
General freelancing markets with active WordPress jobs
Elance – I started my WordPress freelancing career here. This is a great place. But beware of heavy competition with damn cheap quotes.